To ease the transition, ASIC has released a guide in form of a printable booklet to assist businesses in navigating the online business register.
The booklet addresses the advantages of the new online business register, such as:
- Time savings - one central location to renew, register, update and search for business names;
- Lower compliances costs;
- A lower annual registration fee of $33 or $76 for 3 years;
- Single registration with nation-wide effect; and
- Free online searches for name availability, registration details and business ownership.
To have access to the business register, you will need to sign up to ASIC Connect. Once registered you can link all your business names you have registered using your ASIC key to your ASIC account.
An ASIC key is a unique 11 digit number that is used for verification for each business name you have registered.
The booklet also goes through further points, which include:
- How to register for a business name;
- How to renew a business name;
- How to transfer a business name; and
- How to use the search function
To access the National Business Names register guide, click here.