Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 October 2012

What are the odds of something happening to me, or a loved one?

Although it can be a very unsettling thing to face, there is a significant likelihood of a major health event impacting on us.  The following statistics are provided to emphasise the risks we are all surrounded by.
  1. The odds of a partner dying or becoming totally disabled. Chance of a partner dying before aged 65 is 35 in 100, and of becoming totally disabled before aged 65 is 52 in 100.
  2. You have a more than 60% chance of being disabled for more than 1 month during your working life and a 1 in 3 chance of being disabled for more than 3 months
  3. There are 60,000 strokes each year, (an average of one every 10 minutes).42.5% of strokes result in ‘core activity restriction’ (disability).
  4. 1 in 5 people aged 16 –85 have experienced a mental disorder at some time in any 12 month period
  5. Around 108,000 new cases of cancer are diagnosed each year, (more than the capacity of the MCG) and there are 109 cancer  related deaths every day.
  6. Between 1982 and 2007 there was a 200% increase in the number of new cancer cases diagnosed. Over the same period the population grew around 30%.
  7. Survival rates are increasing for most types of cancer, with the exception of pancreatic, lung and brain cancers. The 5 year ‘relative survival rate’ for all cancers is around 58.4% for males and 64.1% for females.
  8. In 2007 – 08, about 3.5 million Australians had a long-term heart disease

    In 2010, a study by Lifewise found that  95% of families didn’t have adequate levels of insurance. One in five families are likely to be impacted by the death of a parent, a serious accident or illness that renders a parent unable to work. The typical Australian family will need to cope on half or less of their income as a result of underinsurance, creating unexpected financial pressures on top of a serious health event and putting significant strain at a very difficult time.

    Imagine being in a position to not have to face financial ruin if you or a loved one were to suffer a serious health problem.  Take the worry away by speaking to Mark.  Mark will review your life insurance needs with you, and provide cost effective ways to protect you and your loved ones from the perils that life can sometimes throw up.  We are happy to offer a no cost and obligation free meeting to discuss your particular needs.

    Please contact Mark Felton at Lindale Insurances on 03 9848 5933 to discuss.

Professional help with planning permit and subdivision

Going through planning permit and VCAT? Need help with subdivisions? Council giving you hard time? Need professional advise. Please read on.....

David started as a local government planning officer with the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council in 2001 and has since worked with the City of Boroondara, Shire of Yarra Ranges (Team Leader), the City of Yarra, and most recently the Shire of Baw Baw. In 2005, David established Quelch Town Planning and worked as a private planning consultant engaged in a variety of land use and development projects, particularly lodging planning permit applications and VCAT representation. Working in urban fringe and inner city municipalities, both as a local government planner and planning consultant, has enabled David to gain knowledge and experience in broad spectrum of planning related fields. His trademark is hard work, honesty and a passion for planning. 
David Quelch worked as an Environmental and Planning Compliance Officer for the Yarra Ranges Council for a number of years. During this time, David audited numerous planning permits to ensure that the use and/or development complied with the endorsed plans and permit conditions. The audit often revealed that the land use and/or development did not comply with the endorsed plans and permit conditions and a Penalty Infringement Notice may be issued and enforcement action taken by Council.
Similarly, David investigated complaints and other cases regarding breaches of the planning scheme. Regularly, land owners undertake certain uses and buildings and works without a planning permit when a planning permit is required under the planning scheme. Under these circumstances, the land owner may be issued with a Penalty Infringement Notice, and Council may also seek a conviction at the Magistrates Court or an Enforcement Order from VCAT.
If you have been contacted by your local Council regarding any of the above planning compliance matters, it is essential that you seek professional advice and assistance to potentially avoid costly fines, a criminal conviction, and an enforcement order requiring a particular use to cease or building/s to be removed or other costly remedial action to be undertaken. Quelch Town Planning has the distinct advantage of having experience in both Statutory Planning and Planning Compliance and can work with Councils to resolve these issues by acting on your behalf through mediation, applying for a planning permit or amendment for retrospective approval, or other appropriate measures.
Should you have further questions, please contact David Quelch on 0410 535 043 or send him an e-mail