A trademark is generally used to distinguish your goods or services from those who sell similar goods or services.
A business name is the name under which the business operates for trading purposes and for entering into transactions or dealings with third parties.
Some of the characteristics of a trademark include:
- It provides legal protection for your name and prevents others from trading with it;
- The use of a trademark is exclusive throughout Australia;
- The trademark has an effective life of 10 years; and
- Being an Australian trademark holder makes it easier to apply for one in other countries
Some of the characteristics of a business name include:
- The name is used to identify your business and is linked to your ABN;
- Business name registration is required if you are not trading under your own name; and
- Registration of a business name prevents it from being identical or too similar to other business names
- Lastly, consider the fees and benefits associated before registering for a business name and/or trademark
For more information on trademarks, click here.
For more information on business names, click here.