To assist taxpayers, the Tax Office has created a factsheet outlining how to avoid common errors that may occur when completing a business activity statement (BAS), accounting for GST and claiming GST credits.
Common GST errors include:
- Not reflecting the difference correctly when accounting on an accrual basis and lodging the BAS on a cash basis (vice versa);
- The BAS does not reconcile with accounting records or tax return;
- Leaving compulsory boxes unmarked even if it does not apply to you;
- Not keeping appropriate records for sales and purchases;
- Not locking the previous GST period; and
- Claiming full GST credits on purchases that are not for 100% business use.
- Ensuring the GST codes are set up correctly for accounts;
- Checking that the tax invoices issued and received indicate GST;
- Using a registered BAS or Tax Agent;
- Being consistent with whether lodging GST annually or quarterly.
For more information, click here.