- In the 2010 Budget, the Tax Office received over $337 million in
funding over four years for additional activities to promote voluntary
GST compliance and improve methods for the detection of non compliance.
- The program focuses on various areas within the GST legislation, including the following:
- Detecting and dealing with taxpayers who deliberately avoid their GST obligations; and
- Enhancing support and education to encourage taxpayers to meet their GST obligations.
- The use of new risk indicators to detect incorrect or fraudulent refund claims;
- Issuing pre-due date lodgment reminders to taxpayers via SMS and letters;
- Verifying refunds by phoning or visiting taxpayers and contacting third parties such as the state revenue offices and land titles offices to substantiate claims; and
- The use of small business benchmarks to identify cases for audit or review.
- Over $150 million being collected through additional GST debt collections activities;
- More than 245,000 debt cases being referred to external agencies; and
- Over 1,000 debt cases being referred for prosecution.